SEATTLE – During the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting, CEO Howard Schultz had a clear message to send to investors who don’t support gay marriage: he doesn’t want your business.

It’s one thing to stick to one’s beliefs, but it’s another thing to allow those beliefs to cross the line and become zealotry. It appears Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz crossed that line during the meeting, mixing his belief system with business.

Schultz went on to claim that Starbucks strives to “embrace diversity of all kinds.” He went on to tell a shareholder who stands behind tradition marriage to sell his shares and invest elsewhere.

Forbes reported that Schultz seemed hostile and intolerant of any shareholders who objected to gay marriage for moral or religious reasons.

During the meeting, shareholder Tom Strobhar (who founded the Corporate Morality Action Center) pointed out that after the company voiced its support for a referendum backing gay marriage in Washington state, a boycott by traditional marriage supporters caused a drop in sales revenue.

What do you think? Is this a bad move on Starbucks’ part?

Freedom Daily contributed to this post.

249 thoughts on “Starbucks CEO: “If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don’t Want Your Business”

• March 4, 2017 at 7:42 am

The comment by Mr Schuitz are sad, but not surprising. In this PC world that we live in tolerances is tolerate as long as you agree with me. Mr. Schultz and Starbucks are not the only major corporation that takes this stance, therefore we who believe in traditional marriage should educate ourselves with the facts/truth about the danger of redefining traditional marriage and be ready to give an answer with gentleness and with respect.

• March 5, 2017 at 1:16 pm

When you’re worth 2.9 billion dollars I think you forget about the little man! It’s not good business to state your political or religious opinions! When you have that much money however you tend to have this feeling that you can do or say what ever you want! So he doesn’t want your business if you believe in tradional marriage! That’s a stupid comment to make. So he is saying that people that believe in tradional marriage have no rights to their owns beliefs. Why not just keep your own personal beliefs to yourself? He didn’t have to make that comment. If he was only worth one Million dollars you know for a fact he wouldn’t have said that publicly!!! They will lose business from this but in his mind he doesn’t care he’s worth 2.9 billion and is 63 years old. What does he care? The people who made him rich care!!

• March 14, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Conrad, VERY WELL SAID!!!

• March 4, 2017 at 11:06 am

Stupid Ass… get back in the kitchen and out of our bedrooms!!

Get me some coffee, won’t ya sweetie!

• March 4, 2017 at 11:14 am

i won’t give you business

• March 4, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Wow! If this is real Mr Schuitz is a hypocrite of what he proclaims: embrace diversity of all kinds! ! He is the perfect example of intolerance of diversity . I support tradional marriage n I will not buy any Starbucks products from now on as per Mr. Schuitz requests.

• March 5, 2017 at 4:26 am

No I don’t think he was wrong, or out of line in saying it.
    It’s one thing if you chose to have a traditional marriage, based on your beliefs. It’s quite another to force your personal choice of “traditional” marriage only onto others.
    To take the argument of someone else’s love, and commitment to another person, as harmful or deminishing your marriage is rediculous! The quality of your marriage is completely reliant on your and your spouses choices, not another couples!

• March 5, 2017 at 4:27 am

No I don’t think he was wrong, or out of line in saying it.

• March 10, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Do you see the irony in your response? He is now forcing his beliefs on mine. If he had said he believes in non traditional marriages I would be fine with that. Why can’t he be fine with letting me have my own beliefs. He if forcing me to stop going to Starbucks because he just said he doesn’t want my business. It makes me sad because I love to go there and I really appreciate the people that work there. But I’m done! He doesn’t want me–no problem. I can support a local coffee shop.

• March 5, 2017 at 10:26 am

“Traditional marriage has been around for more than 5000 years. Yes, there were often polygamous unions, but there was one ‘first’ wife at a time. So to suggest we who believe in traditional marriage are “forcing” our beliefs on others is a gross over-statement. Most “traditionalists” believe that marriage is ordained by God. A portion of society , now accepts Civil Unions and same sex marriage, but no one would suggest they are God ordained. It is difficult to understand what the CEO of any company has to gain by the declaration he made. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to suggest this “my way or the highway” approach to business, especially since he is speaking for franchise owners who are also on the front lines and may not share his views.

• March 5, 2017 at 11:29 am

I will boycott Starbucks

• April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm

I will be boycotting Starbucks also. As someone said in an earlier comment we are to be tolerant as long as we agree with your statement. So good for you Mr. Schultz maybe the same thing will happen to Starbucks like it did to Target!!

• March 5, 2017 at 3:13 pm

And…..another reason not to drink their shitty coffee.

• March 6, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Starbucks can go fuck its self! i don’t like gay people!
    if you call me a homophobic asshole, i maybe an asshole but you don’t scare me!!
    i just don’t like gay people! its because its not normal!

• March 11, 2017 at 4:22 am

Looks like I’ll be saving money by boycotting Starbucks permanently, and consuming less calories daily as well. This is actually a blessing – I’ll have more money in my wallet, I’ll lose weight, and my funds won’t be supporting a CEO who stands against my morals. Win, Win, Win!!!

• March 13, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Really! I’ll pray for this man and hope he finds the truth and a new job! I’ll still drink Starbucks when I’m in Barnes and Nobles Book Stores. Unlike the COE I believe you have your right to your believe and I have mine. Why should a company pay for what the COE says! They’ll vote him out sooner than later sooner is better!

• April 23, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I really feel sorry for the franchise owners who do not ascribe to this man’s beliefs but who will suffer for this man’s big mouth! He’s GOT his money and HIS is obviously the only well-being he is concerned about.

• April 24, 2017 at 2:03 am

I will never buy anything from the company run by this SHITHEAD SHULTZ
    Shame on you. You left wing libtard
    asshole